Sunday, October 16, 2011

Rain, rain, go away...

It hasn't stopped raining here for more than a couple hours since Tuesday. I really wish I was exaggerating, but I'm not. I feel like this is the first time that rain has become a MAJOR inconvenience for me in my life. Life here is SO much more dependent on the weather, just due to doing more things outdoors and not having great infrastructure to handle heavy downpours. A few of the reasons why the rain has made daily life a bit harder this week...

- As I think I've mentioned before, the road which leads into where we teach in Cedro Galan is a dirt road which has a tendency to become a river when it rains a lot. On Tuesday morning when we drove by, it was WAY more of a complete river than we had ever seen it - we could literally see no road. I didn't capture a good picture then, so it had drained for a few hours before I took this one, but you can still get the idea. At multiple points throughout the week, it was a fully flowing river with no visible land. Even when land was visible, it was REALLY slippy and difficult to walk down without slipping. We weren't able to have classes Tuesday since no one would be able to get down the road to El Farito.


- The power system here has a lot more power outages than at home, but most are short-lived. With all the rain, we had some long power outages on Thursday and Friday. We weren't able to have classes on Thursday afternoon/evening due to having no power. If you can tell from the theme, it's been a slow week....it's frustratingly hard to have classes here with the weather going crazy.

- Our two poor dogs do NOT like the rain. They have become experts at sneaking into the house if we leave the gate even a little bit open, and we've had to physically push them out of the house multiple times this week. Cola spent a lot of the week standing at the door whining at us (which he is doing as I type this...), and when he and Sydney did get in, they beelined for the bunk room, where our couches are currently living, and made themselves at home.



- I seriously don't own anything dry anymore. The moisture hanging around means everything's wet, even things that never started out wet. I tried to find a laundromat that would also dry clothing, since my clothes were all dirty and wet and i wanted them clean and dry. Turns out that those are hard to find. So, I just used our washer at home, and hung clothes up to dry. I'm hoping they're dry in under 72 hours, but who knows.

In fun news, I took an overnight trip to Granada, a colonial city about an hour south of Managua. It was nice to get away for a night, be a tourist, eat some delicious food, and enjoy some more of Nicaragua's beauty. I also was able to go to adoration and Mass at the Cathedral in town, which was an unexpected treat!! All in all, it was a great trip. I'd have better pictures if it hadn't been raining the whole time....but here are a couple anyways.



Here's hoping for less rain soon! I did see the sun for a few minutes this morning....

No comments:

Post a Comment